Carpet cleaning is a vital part of maintaining a healthy home, and when you Google “how often should I clean the carpets in my home?” the answers you will get are just as numerous as the results for “the best carpet cleaner near me.” One thing some carpet cleaners have started doing is presenting to the public a recommendation from the Environmental Protection Agency on carpet cleaning frequency. As with anything on the internet, you need to check facts.
The misinformative “facts” from the EPA that many carpet cleaners are using goes something like this:
The Environmental Protection Agency recommends carpets in residential homes be cleaned every 6-12 months if 2 people or less live in the home who are non-smokers. For larger families with both kids and pets, the EPA recommends a professional carpet cleaning every 3 months.
Has the EPA issued specific recommendations on how frequently the carpets should be cleaned in your Germantown TN home?
From the official EPA website:
No. EPA recommends that consumers and others follow manufacturer recommendations and industry standards for keeping the carpet clean to protect indoor air quality wherever the carpet is installed. A number of carpet cleaning companies have been under the incorrect impression that EPA issued official carpet cleaning recommendations in a 1989 letter from the then-Deputy Director of EPA’s Environmental Criteria and Assessment Office in EPA’s Office of Research and Development. That official provided a response based on his own expertise and investigation. However, the table at the end of the letter identifying specific carpet cleaning frequencies for different indoor environments was not intended to and does not convey an official EPA position, and therefore should not be construed or represented as EPA carpet cleaning recommendations.
So with the “official recommendation” debunked, the question remains.
How frequently should the carpets be cleaned in your Germantown TN home?
The answer to this question is definitely complex because there are a great number of variables that go into the right answer for your family. Some things that are specific to your home include these things:
- How many people live in your home?
- How active is your home? Do you have a lot of foot traffic?
- Does anyone in your home suffer from allergies?
- Do you have pets?
- How often do you vacuum?
- What type of air filtration do you have in your home?
- Do you have children?
- How long has it been since you last had your carpets professionally cleaned?
- Are there smokers in your home?
As you can see, there are many questions with many possible answers. To answer the question, we went straight to a trusted source: The Carpet and Rug Institute. Their recommendation is that the carpet in your Germantown home should be cleaned every 12-18 months. They also have a few additional tips to help you keep your carpet looking great.
Four Steps for Proper Carpet Care in Your Germantown TN Home
Carpet cleaning is all about developing a routine. If you get into a good routine and keep it up, you will see great results. Here are four simple steps from the Carpet and Rug Institute website to keep your carpet clean and looking great:
- Vacuum regularly and more frequently in high traffic areas, and everywhere according to a vacuuming schedule, using a Seal of Approval-certified vacuum.
- Clean spots and spills quickly with products that do not damage the carpet or cause it to resoil quicker. SOA-certified solutions to clean effectively and maintain the life of the carpet.
- Professionally deep clean your carpets every 12 to 18 months to remove embedded dirt and grime. SOA-certified cleaners are recommended and sometimes required by the manufacturer.
- Stop dirt at the door by using mats outside and in, taking your shoes off when you enter the house and changing your air filters to reduce airborne dust particles.
When you are needing the carpets cleaned in your Germantown TN home, Safe-DryⓇ Carpet Cleaning of Germantown TN is the best choice for carpet cleaning that is safe for your entire family. We offer same-day appointments and guaranteed results. Clean carpet is a click or phone call away!